Facts and Conversions
- A half gallon of liquor or 'handle' is not actually a half gallon, it is 1.75L, which only comes out to be about .47 gallons
- A 1/2 barrel contains 6.89 cases (24 packs) or 5.51 30 packs.
- A fifth is one fifth of a gallon (or close enough, 5 fifths = 99.3% of a gallon).
- There is much discepancy over the size of a 'shot'. Many sources say that a shot is 1oz., however there are also sources that refer to a legal shot as 1.25 oz. The total pure alcohol in these shots of 80 proof liquor is 0.4oz 0.5oz respectively.
- Non alcoholic beer smells exactly the same on someones breath as regular beer.
- Guys have an extra enzyme which causes them to break down alcohol quicker initially, which is why girls in fact do get drunk quicker than guys.
- Pennies in your mouth will not cause you to pass a breathalyzer test.
- Hangovers are caused by a lack of water in the brain, however the diuretic hormones in your body that are released upon drinking alcohol cause you to pee out any water that you try and drink during/immediately after drinking.
- There are 25.4 1 oz shots in a fifth (20.3 1.25 oz shots).
- The 'liquor before beer' saying is a myth.
If you have any other suggestions for conversions/facts to be posted on this page, please e-mail suggestions along with any scientific basis or calculations in the contact us section.